My Blog List

Monday, March 26, 2012

Guided Reading in Special Education

For my article I wanted to focus on guided reading in special education, I found this article about students with autism http://journals.cec.sped.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1429&context=tecplus, that I felt was really en-lighting about how to engage students. What I felt was most encouraging is that the reading assessments used compared students to their own previous abilities instead of national averages. This gives a better and more realistic view of how much a student has improved. This is good for all student, but particularly those in special education because while some students may be intelligent they are seen as low-achieving due to their grades compared to national averages. As the article states guided reading is also an adaptable teaching method that can engage students at all levels because the level of the book can be changed, questions can be modified and so on. This method also provides a lot of opportunity for one on one teacher involvement to help students who may struggle.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you researched for a guided reading article specifically for special education students; this is what we will be doing in out actual classrooms. I also agree with your statement on how guided reading can help students individually and allows teachers to focus in on what each student is actually struggling with. By doing so the teacher can build that one on one interaction and help still advance in their reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the fact that you have found something that pertains to special education. I think that this is a great tool that we can use as special ed teachers. It is really easy I guess to get frusterated when a student is not making obvious progress. I feel like this type of measurement would encourage not only the student, but also the special ed teacher! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete