My Blog List

Monday, March 12, 2012

Evoking Vocabulary



While reading both the "Vocabularly Lessons" article by  Blachowicz and Fisher, and the "eVoc Strategies: 10 Ways to Use Technology to Build Vocabulary" article by Dalton and Grisham I began to think about the practicality and limitations of technology in the class. As Dalton and Grisham say technology can be a very useful tool, especially in a day and age where everyone pulls out their Ipad/pod/phone to do anything and everything. I though their ideas about using Wordles were very useful, in fact it spurred me to look into how they can be beneficial some more and I found this blog post http://thecleversheep.blogspot.com/2008/10/top-20-uses-for-wordle.html where a lot of great things you can do with Wordles are outline. Great! 
That being said, I do feel an over-reliance on technology can be a hindrance for a classroom. Going to UT we all know that sometimes, things just don't work. On those days students need to know how to receive all the information that they were going to pull of the internet from books and other sources. I also started thinking about how I like the idea of using the Oxford English Dictionary when teaching some vocabulary, or at least a simplified similar style so that, like Blachowicz and Fisher mentioned, students can learn the etymology, and morphology of words in order them to help know roots they can apply to other words.

How much technology to you think should be used in classrooms? In what ways?

4 comments:

  1. I think that technology is a very helpful to students and teachers. I think that it can become a handicap to the students if they become to dependent on it. I think that is highly dependent on the class and the teacher as to how much technology should be used...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of using the dictionary within a class lesson but I would like to utilize it in an innovative way. Possible have them find words and there definition and once found make a picture of what they think the word means. I also agree that the use of technology has the potential to hinder our students. If they rely on it for everything what will they do when they are unable to use it? The answer is open an actual book

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely think that technology can aid student learning, but we do have to be careful that students don"t become too reliant on technological devices. I do, however, believe that education will continue to incorporate technology into learning at an increased rate, so we need to make sure and prepare our students to work with all types of devices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that technology can be a useful resource, along with knowledge of how to use books for aid. The internet should not be the end not of a resource. We should have our students have to use a book for every informative paper or project.

    ReplyDelete